Wednesday, February 4, 2009

My Oweee.....



Well it will be one year ago this Saturday the 7th that I went under the knife to get my right rotator cuff repaired. After a few years of on and off pain and not knowing what was going on with my shoulder and alot of "take motrin and ice it down" it'll be ok by military Docs........yeah right! I was finally examined by a civilian Doc, he did an MRI and lo an behold, my rotator is shot......nice huh? Well after fasting all night and most of the morning I finally got the call to go in early so I can get operated on, early meaning sit around and wait past your original appointed time as it was. I finally get wheeled in, get on the ice cold table, talk to the anesthesiologist and next thing you know I'm out cold. The Doc went in on the front of my shoulder as you can see by the pic, it's about a 4 inch scar, plus I have a smaller scar on my back where he went in as well. The picture is about 8 weeks after surgery. The Doc shaved down part of a bone that was rubbing against my rc and then put in a screw and some sutures to repair the tear. It was an in and out surgery which was nice, but once I got home I was hurting, especially trying to get some sleep. The first week I slept a total of maybe 10 hours, I went from the couch to the bed and back all night, I could not get comfortable at all. The surgery area did not hurt too much, but then again I have a high tolerance for pain, except for taking band aids of my arm.....that really hurts. I was put on vicodine for the pain, but I only took maybe three the whole time, no need for it. I had my arm in a sling for six weeks, so my arm from the elbow forward is what hurt so bad from not being able to extend it or move it around. My shoulder and arm where tightly taped up against my upper body to prevent any movement. So back to the lack of sleep, that was killing me big time, finally I spoke to a buddys wife who had the same surgery, she told me to prop some pillows up against the head board and just lean back. Well the first night I did that, I was out instantly, I slept like a baby, I was so very happy. I could not drive, so I was couped up at home during the day with my dogs while my wife was at work, so when she got home she would take me out just to get me out of the house.....like a dog.....lol. Physical therapy was tough the first few times I went, especially the stretching, that was a killer. I was going twice a week for an hour or so. Doc said it will be at least another year before my shoulder is back to a full 100%, I have not thrown a baseball or football since I had the surgery. I did throw a few rocks, but my throwing motion was all messed up. I looked like a little kid when they first learn to throw things. All this gave me a new perspective to what MLB pitchers go thru when they have a rotator go bad on them, no wonder they miss the entire season, dang. My scar has healed nicely, it is almost unnoticeable. I get a twinge in my shoulder every now and again, but other than that, it's all good............GO CUBS!!!!!!

1 comment:

Jen Estes said...

Man, that's from a year ago? I'm glad it was a success. And just think - should you run into the Cubs bullpen at some point, you have the perfect icebreaker!